Saturday

Did some photography for "Longstreet!"


Hey all!

As I mentioned a few months ago, Sam Mustafa of Maurice/Lasalle/Might and Reason/Grand Armee fame asked me if I was interested in doing some photography for his upcoming American Civil War rule set, "Longstreet".

Well... if you give me the chance to look at great collections of toy soldiers on nice terrain, and then the ADDED bonus of taking photos of them...?  I'll jump at that chance!

So last week Sam came by and we took a bunch of photos, using a mix of our terrains, my 15mm ACW collection, and his 25mm ACW collection.  I've got to say, we got a LOT of nice shots!  Obviously I can't share them, as they are being used in the book and I'd hate to ruin the surprise, but Sam did say I could use one... so, here you go!  Grade A Toy Soldier Eye Candy!

As silly as it sounds, after a few years of owning my camera I think I've FINALLY got it down.  The last setting I needed to get a hold of was the ISO setting.  For the last few years I've had the iso WAY up... at like 1600, which gave me very grainy shots when I wanted a nice deep depth of field.  I have finally gotten it all worked out, though, and it produced photos like the one above, which is shrunk down by about half!  Pretty crazy, right?  Nothing like a nice camera and a nice flash to make nice photos!

Anyway... I do hope people are looking out for Longstreet... it should be a lot of fun once it arrives.  I did get a chance at a playtest (which is outlined in this blog post) and the game has a lot of neat factors. To this Civil War buff it was especially nice to see how armies within the game change to reflect the year of the war.  And the campaign system on top of it, which lends itself to some wonderful chances to personalize your regiments and really "get to know them," is fantastic.  I swear, I am considering sponsoring someone somehow if they would be willing to make an army specifically for a Longstreet campaign and actively paint and model to reflect the progress through the war.  I'd do ANYTHING for someone to start with a beautiful clean flag and end the campaign with the flag in tatters, full of bullet holes and covered with battle honors!:)

So!  A great afternoon.  I think there may be one or two more sessions of photography... my buddy has some great pieces, including a bunch of early war units (perfect for Longstreet) and some great objectives, and if the Grand Poobah says it is okay maybe I can share another photo!:)

Thanks for coming by!