Sunday

"Reclaming" some old ACW figures


Hi all!

Well, as I mentioned in my last post, there has been discussion in the local gaming group of doing a "Longstreet" Grand Campaign!  What fun!



Now, I don't have any 25mm ACW (well, not many at least)...



... and honestly my current 15mm ACW collection is just not large enough to do a campaign.  That collection is nicely painted and all, but just not big enough.

So, I decided to take a look at my OLD 15mm ACW collection, to see what I could do with those!

Now, they are not great figures.  They are painted cleanly enough, I suppose, but you can tell that I painted them when I was ten:)  Also the bases are just huge; 1 inch x 2 inches, which is just awkward.

So I decided that I would try to reclaim them to use for the "Longstreet" campaign!

First, I would cut each base in half.  That leaves them a nice 1 x 1, which is just a more pleasing base size.  The downside is that there will only be two figures per stand!  That is pretty stunning, but you know, I think I can live with it.  Yes, the units will be small, figure-count-wise, but the game will play well, so I think I can live with it.

But regardless of how many figures there are, they are VERY simple to look at!  Here are four stands of my figures as is.
 



So I decided to do a touch of work on them.  I blacked out the edges a little better, dipped the figures, and did a bit of work on the basing.  Then some matte varnish, and voila!


Here they are, after being worked on.  For two minutes of work, I think they look MUCH better.  Sure, they are not beautiful, but I think they will work.  There is a LITTLE bit of dip-drip under their feet on some of them, but I think it isn't that noticeable... it almost looks like a shadow. I have something like four hundred stands of Rebs and Yanks, so more than enough for a big 15mm game.

So... that's that!  Now I've got some work ahead of me:)